LL-L "Folklore" 2005.07.06 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
Wed Jul 6 17:33:43 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.JUL.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html
S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeeuws)

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2005.07.05 (04) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>In Scotland on the other hand black cats are considered lucky.<

As they are in England too!

But in France it is the opposite: a black cat crossing your path brings bad
luck!

It is v interesting the number of 'superstitions' that reverse themselves
when crossing the Channel  e.g. the taboo on eating horse meat in the UK V
the chevalerie of France

I always suspect the strong guiding hand of the medieval church (irony
here!) when I see an old tradition/ belief changed / adapted or reversed

e.g. Celtic bonfires on the quarter years - 31Oct moved to Nov 5th (Guy
Fawkes)      21 June moved to 24 June ( St John's Day)

The loss of Wodenstag in German and the insertion of Mittwoch instead.
What is it in Platt and all the other languages of this list?

Do you cross fingers for luck or to be able to tell a lie with impunity?

What do you do when you see a full moon?

Ladybirds? Lucky or evil?

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Folklore

Heather (above):

> The loss of Wodenstag in German and the insertion of
> Mittwoch instead.
> What is it in Platt and all the other languages of this list?

Most North Saxon dialects have _Middeweken_, _Midweek_, _Midweken_, etc.,
while some of them have older _Wou(e)nsdag_ (<Woonsdag>), etc., some
_Gou(e)nsdag_ (<Goensdag>, <Gauensdag>, etc.).  I believe many of the
latter dialects have Frisian substrates.

> Do you cross fingers for luck or to be able to tell a lie with impunity?

In Germany you "press the thumb" for luck; i.e., you encircle and press a
thumb with the fingers of the same hand.

> Ladybirds? Lucky or evil?

Lucky.