LL-L "Literature" 2005.07.09 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
Sat Jul 9 18:56:48 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.JUL.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html
S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Ze3uws)

From: Tom Mc Rae <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.08 (02) [E]

On 09/07/2005, at 4:26 AM, Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za> wrote:

> Ben, a ladybird is a kind of round and red little bug looking like a
> button and it has spots.
> I love them in my garden (especially on the lemons and oranges)
> because
> they destroy aphids.

As an entomologist Im must sat there's more to members of the Family
Coccinellidae than this.
Colour varies in species from yellow to orange to red and spots vary.
Imagine if your name was Coccinella septempunctatum. :-)
While some are, as Elsie says, of great benefit as predators others
are major pests of commercial plants.
I recall the old rhyme.

"Ladybird ladybird fly away home,
Your house is on fire, your children are gone,
All save one who's name is Ann,
And she's hid under the frying pan."

In the Hippy 60's Robin Williamson of The Incredible String Band gave us

"Ladybird , ladybird what is your wish ?
Your wish isn't granted unless it's a fish.
Your wish isn'tb\ granted unless it's a dish.
A fish on a dish, if that's what you wish."

Regards
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia
Oh Wad Some Power the Giftie Gie Us
Tae See Oorsel's as Ithers See Us
Robert Burns

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Literature

Here is a ladybug rhyme from North America (author unknown).

***

  Lady Bug, Lady Bug
  She landed on my nose
  I went "kerchoo!" and