LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.14 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 14 16:17:46 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.JUL.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From:  Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.13 (05) [E]

Three years in Papua New Guinea, and I never knew about Rabaul German!  I
knew some people from islands off the PNG north coast who apparently still
spoke some German; this was in the early 1980s, so few if any would have
been alive during German admistration.  I also knew a girl of partly Samoan
extraction who acquired some German from her parents, and she would have
been born at least 45 years after the Germans left Samoa.

Interestingly, it was in fact the Germans who were largely responsible for
exporting Tok Pisin ("pidgin English") from its cradle in New Britain to the
rest of their New Guinea territory, and its ultimate spread to be the main
Lingua Franca of the modern country.  They obviously saw it as a more viable
language than the German-based language.

Paul