LL-L "Language use" 2005.07.15 (11) [E/Tok Pisin]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jul 16 05:20:42 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JUL.2005 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2005.07.15 (08) [E]

I should very much like to add to this.

In some cases, with pidgins and creoles it is often considered
especially demeaning for a foreigner to talk to somebody in the pidgin
or creole.

If you go to Papua New Guinea, and meet a man in an upscale area of
Port Moresby, and proceed to speak to him in Tok Pisin, there is a
good chance he will be insulted.

This is because he speaks English well. Being spoken to by a white
person in Tok Pisin is seen as an act of colonial agression or at
least condescention. This isn't true in more rural areas where they
may only very rarely see white people, and not very many people speak
"real" English, but it's certainly true in Port Moresby.

If you wish to converse in Tok Pisin with this man in Port Moresby,
you should say, after greeting them and doing the usual niceties in
English, say something along the lines of "I'm learning Tok Pisin, I
was wondering if I could practice with you?" -- this indicates that
you are not making fun of them or talking down to them, because you
let them know that you know that they are fluent in English, and you
have also shown interest in Tok Pisin.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the same is true in many other areas
where pidgins and creoles are spoken.

It is also true in immigrant communities.

An example from my own experience... in Little Tokyo in downtown Los
Angeles, there are droves of Japanese all-you-can-eat buffets. Of
course, there are also many other Japanese and even Chinese
restaurants in Little Tokyo, but all you can eat buffets are
particularly abundant.

My mother and I went to a buffet, and being aware that many buffets
there are of poor quality -- they leave the food out too long -- my
mom told me to ask if we could see the buffet first. The guy that
greeted us was probably in his 20s, Japanese-American. I asked him
"bafeewo misemasuka" -- can we see the buffet. And his response was
"yeah, you can see the buffet". So, obviously, he understood, but was
perhaps insulted that I spoke to him in Japanese and wanted to make it
clear he could speak English? When we left (the food had indeed been
sitting out), I thanked him in Japanese, and his response was again
English.

In a foreign country, though, attempts to speak the native language
are usually appreciated without explanation.

Mark

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language use

Gut de, Mark!

> If you go to Papua New Guinea, and meet a man in an upscale area of
> Port Moresby, and proceed to speak to him in Tok Pisin, there is a
> good chance he will be insulted.

E, paniman bilong longwe ples!  Yu sikibaga!  Nogat hambakim mi!  Mi man
bilong save.  Yu go yusim nogut Tok Pisin toktok wantaim buskanaka!

Funny you related that thing about Little Tokyo.  Last week I witnessed
something very similar at one of the Japanese buffets in San Francisco's
Japan Town.  There was a Spanish couple at the next table -- having lived in
Japan, judging by their conversation.  (OK, so I sometimes eavesdrop when I
"hear languages." So sue me!)  Anyway, the woman spoke Japanese to the
waiters, and they looked embarrassed.  Fact is the joint was
Taiwanese-Chinese-run, just like similar places up in Vancouver!

> It is also true in immigrant communities.

Right.  Oftentimes there seems to be the perception that your use of their
language is a sort of invasion of their "club" or crashing their party,
especially if they speak your language well.

I will only use such languages if I am absolutely sure that I know them
better than they know English, and if I think it will improve communication.
Otherwise it may be taken as patronizing, unless I have a friendly
understanding with someone willing to help me practise.

Lukim yu, wantok! Kambek no longtaim!