LL-L "Nuptials" 2005.07.15 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jul 16 06:36:26 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JUL.2005 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Nuptials

Folks,

Today, before announcing our Mathieu's upcoming wedding (August 26), I
wrote:

>  I'm afraid our Marsha has set a trend.

See, Marsha?  I was right.

Turns out that Larry Granberg, our favorite
Carpatho-Rusyn-Bavarian-American-Luxembourgish friend (nibwit at yahoo.com,
http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=larry) is going to beat
Mathieu to it.  He'll marry the no doubt charming Karin, säin
lëtzebuergesches Schätzchen, next Friday at 4 p.m., the ceremony being
officiated (at the townhall?) by Här Buergermeeschter of the commune
Rammerech/Rambrouch himself. Great news!

Vill Gléck, Karin an Larry!

Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: Oh, and don't be surprised if you suddenly hear Northumbrian pipe
music. Dave Singleton, our favorite English Luxembourger and accomplished
pipe-wright (http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=dave),
lives but a hop and a skip away.

P.S.S.: I assume our Marscha will forgive me for rehashing one of her bridal
songs, and you, Larry, will forgive me that it is in Lemko Rusyn rather than
in yours.

   Рядовый

   |: Наша млада як сосна :|
   |: Лем пре тебе выросла :|

   |: Возми ты ко соби :|
   |: А мылуй до смерты. :|

   |: Ня ся Пан Бог радуле :|
   |: Млада з младым танцуе. :|

   |: На танири щербына :|
   |: Най даруе родына. :|

***

   Rjadovyj

   |: Naša mlada jak sosna :|
   |: Lem pre tebe vyrosla. :|

   |: Vozmi ty ko sobi :|
   |: A myluj ju do smerty. :|

   |: Nja sja Pan Boh raduje :|
   |: Mlada z mladym tancuje. :|

   |: Na taniri ščerbyna :|
   |: Naj daruje rodyna. :|

***
Free Translation by R. F. Hahn

   Bridal Dance

   |: Our bride shines like the sun :|
   |: Grown for you to cherish, son. :|

   |: Step up close, son, feel her heart! :|
   |: Love her till death you does part. :|

   |: May the Lord rejoice above! :|
   |: Bride and groom in dance and love! :|

   |: See the gift here on this plate? :|
   |: It comes from our folk's estate. :|

* The Rusyn are a Slavonic-speaking people that live mostly in the
Carpethian Mountains regions of Slovakia, Ukraine and Poland.  Many ethnic
Rusyns live in North America.  Like that of all Slavonic peoples, the
Rusyns' musical heritage is rich and exquisite. The so-called Lemko Rusyns
live predominantly in mountainous Southern Poland.  This song has very many
versions.  You can read some of them and listen to one of the tunes here:
http://www.iarelative.com/wedding/redovy.htm
(I think my translation is singable with that tune.)

See also for sounds and video:
http://www.rusyn-radio.dns2go.com/RADIO_TV_SITE/html_files/video.htm
http://www.lemko.org/lvpro/rus/nak/porachova.html