LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.17 (14) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 18 05:37:34 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.JUL.2005 (14) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: Etymology

Beste Henno,

You wrote:

>> From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Lexicon
>>
>> Hi Hyazinth (and Ron and Heather too ;-) ),
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Lombardic also had a g-form "Godan", and most (if not all) Germanic
>> words that ever made it into French changed initial _w_ to _g_
>>
>> "want" (fingerless glove) (D) > "gant" (French)
>> "war" (E) ~ "verwarring" (D) > "guerre" (French)
>> "warranty" (E) > "garantie" (French)
>
> This suggests that garantie comes from warranty, which is in fact the
> other way round: the English form comes from French, albeit Norman
> French (the stress and suffix gives it away too), which did preserve
> the w- (even today, the original French dialect of the Channel Islands
> still has it), maybe because the ruling classes were originally North
> Germanic and did have a w- sound in their original language. The same
> goes for ward and wardrobe eg (robe is French). The gauarantee, guard
> etc  forms are later additions from official French.

I agree "warranty" was not a good example, but the problem was that at
the time, I couldn't find a modern English word that is cognate with
"weren" (D), "wehren" (G), which is the basis from which "warranty" has
finally been formed. It was my intention to show that Germanic roots
starting with *w* + vowel are invariably translated into *g*, when being
"loaned" in French. In the meantime I did find better examples:

"warjan" (Frankish) ~ "weren" (D) > "guérir" (French, to heal)
"wardôn" (Frankish) > "garder" (French, to keep)
"waidanjan" (Frankish) ~ "weiden" (D) > "gagner" (French, to win)
"wahi" (Frankish) ~ "wei" (zoals in kaaswei) > "gai" (French, vivid)
"wallan" (Old High German) ~ "wellen" (D) > "galer" (French, to have
fun) ~ "galant"
"wala hlaupan" (Frankish) ~ "wel lopen" (D) > "waloper" (Picardian) >
"galoper" (French)
"wrakjo" (Frankish proper name) > "gars" (French, guy) ~ "garçon", "garce"
"warôn" (Frankish) ~ bewaren (D) > "garer" (French, to park) ~ "garage",
"gare"
"warnjan" (Frankish) ~ "to warn" (E) ~ "waar-schuwen" (D) > "garnir"
(French, to furnish)
"wari-wulf" (Frankish) ~ "weerwolf" (D) > "garwalf" (Old French) >
"leu-garoul" > "loup-garou"
"wafel" (D) > "gaufre" (French)
"waso" (Frankish) ~ "waas" (D), zoals in "Het Land van Waas" > "gazon"
(French, lawn)

This is what browsing *g* + vowel *a* in my French etymological
dictionary produced...sure enough the other vowels will yield more examples.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

From: KarlRein at aol.com <KarlRein at aol.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.17 (09) [E]

In a message dated 7/17/2005 7:59:16 PM Central Standard Time,