LL-L "Language use" 2005.07.18 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 18 19:01:56 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.JUL.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2005.07.18 (02) [E]

Sandy Fleming wrote:
"In English (and presumably Scottish) discrimination legislation there's
such a thing as a "genuine occupational qualification". For example, you can
insist on an actor being of the appropriate gender or racial appearance for
the part they're playing, if it's relevant. You can insist on prison
officers in men's prisons to be male and in women's prisons to be female (in
fact, you have to). I imagine this would apply in other countries too, but
if I recall correctly
it doesn't go as far as allowing people in the catering industry to
advertise ethnic preferences in setting up themed pubs and restaurants. You
don't have to be Chinese to cook or serve Chinese food."

I remember reading something about there being exceptions in immigration
legislation to permit Chinese restaurants to sponsor Chinese persons (how
"Chinese" was defined I cannot recall). However, I was reading back and
forth between Australian, British and Irish immigration law at the time and
can! not recall which country the exception applied to.

I would imagine that if Chinese (and presumably Indian and Thai et al)
restaurants were permitted exceptions to hire and / or sponsor ethnic
Chinese, then the same exceptions would, by dint of ejusdem generis, permit
Irish (and presumably British and German et al) pubs to hire and / or
sponsor Irish.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.