LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.18 (07) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 18 20:11:23 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.JUL.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: David Barrow <davidab at telefonica.net.pe>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.17 (14) [E]

> From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Beste Henno,
>
> You wrote:
>
>>> From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
>>> Subject: Lexicon
>>>
>>> Hi Hyazinth (and Ron and Heather too ;-) ),
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Lombardic also had a g-form "Godan", and most (if not all) Germanic
>>> words that ever made it into French changed initial _w_ to _g_
>>>
>>> "want" (fingerless glove) (D) > "gant" (French)
>>> "war" (E) ~ "verwarring" (D) > "guerre" (French)
>>> "warranty" (E) > "garantie" (French)
>>
>> This suggests that garantie comes from warranty, which is in fact the
>> other way round: the English form comes from French, albeit Norman
>> French (the stress and suffix gives it away too), which did preserve
>> the w- (even today, the original French dialect of the Channel Islands
>> still has it), maybe because the ruling classes were originally North
>> Germanic and did have a w- sound in their original language. The same
>> goes for ward and wardrobe eg (robe is French). The gauarantee, guard
>> etc  forms are later additions from official French.
>
> I agree "warranty" was not a good example, but the problem was that at
> the time, I couldn't find a modern English word that is cognate with
> "weren" (D), "wehren" (G), which is the basis from which "warranty" has
> finally been formed. It was my intention to show that Germanic roots
> starting with *w* + vowel are invariably translated into *g*, when being
> "loaned" in French. In the meantime I did find better examples:
>
> "warjan" (Frankish) ~ "weren" (D) > "guérir" (French, to heal)
> "wardôn" (Frankish) > "garder" (French, to keep)
> "waidanjan" (Frankish) ~ "weiden" (D) > "gagner" (French, to win)
> "wahi" (Frankish) ~ "wei" (zoals in kaaswei) > "gai" (French, vivid)
> "wallan" (Old High German) ~ "wellen" (D) > "galer" (French, to have
> fun) ~ "galant"
> "wala hlaupan" (Frankish) ~ "wel lopen" (D) > "waloper" (Picardian) >
> "galoper" (French)
> "wrakjo" (Frankish proper name) > "gars" (French, guy) ~ "garçon",
> "garce"
> "warôn" (Frankish) ~ bewaren (D) > "garer" (French, to park) ~ "garage",
> "gare"
> "warnjan" (Frankish) ~ "to warn" (E) ~ "waar-schuwen" (D) > "garnir"
> (French, to furnish)
> "wari-wulf" (Frankish) ~ "weerwolf" (D) > "garwalf" (Old French) >
> "leu-garoul" > "loup-garou"
> "wafel" (D) > "gaufre" (French)
> "waso" (Frankish) ~ "waas" (D), zoals in "Het Land van Waas" > "gazon"
> (French, lawn)
>
> This is what browsing *g* + vowel *a* in my French etymological
> dictionary produced...sure enough the other vowels will yield more
> examples.
>
> Kind greetings,
>
> Luc Hellinckx

Hi,

This from:

http://www.etymonline.com/

gu-
    since g- followed by a vowel in Eng. usually has a "soft"
pronunciation, a silent -u- was sometimes inserted between the g- and
the vowel in M.E. to signal hardness, especially in words from Fr.; but
this was not done with many Scand. words where hard "g" precedes a vowel
(gear, get, give, etc.). Gmc. -w- generally became -gu- in words
borrowed into Romance languages, but O.N.Fr. preserved the Frankish -w-,
and Eng. sometimes borrowed both forms, hence guarantee/warranty,
guard/ward, etc.

David Barrow