LL-L "Names" 2005.07.19 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 19 23:09:41 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.JUL.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2005.07.18 (09) [E]

Sandy wrote:
> I know there are always a lot of "old country" names in former colonies,
and
> the reasons seem obvious, but how common is it for "New World" names to be
> found in the "Old World"?
>
> How do villages in England come to have names like "Canada" and
> "Pensylvania"?

Well, near the city of Hameln (Hamelin, tootle, tootle, you know) in Lower
Saxony, there is a village named "Texas"! I have always wondered about that
one.

Also, there is Lindau, a rather well-known, sizable German town on the
Bodensee (Lake Constance). And near Northeim in Southern Lower Saxony, there
are neighbouring villages called "Lindau" and "Bodensee".

This reminds me of a little town in Scotland by the name of Morrow...
there's a song about it... enjoy!

(Bob Gibson / Iain C. MacKintosh)
I started on a journey about a year ago
To a little town called Morrow, I was going from Glasgow
I'd never been much of a traveller, so I really didn't know
That Morrow was the hardest place I would ever try to go

I went down to the station, laid my money on the desk
Not thinking to cause trouble with my innocent request
I said, My friend, I'd like to go to Morrow and return
No later than tomorrow, 'cause I haven't time to burn

Said he to me, Now let me see, if I have heard you right
You want to go to Morrow and return tomorrow night
You should have gone to Morrow yesterday and back today
Because the train today to Morrow is a mile upon its way

If you had gone to Morrow yesterday, now don't you see
You could have gone to Morrow and been back today at three
Because the train today to Morrow, if the timetable is right
Today it goes to Morrow and returns tomorrow night

I said, My friend, you're kidding me, you're talking through your hat
There is a town called Morrow on the line, now tell me that
There is, said he, But take from me a quiet little tip
To go from here to Morrow is a fourteen hour trip

I said, I want to go to Morrow, can't I go today
And get to Morrow by tonight if there is no delay
He said, My friend, I've just got one more thing I'd like to say
You've talked so long the trains are gone, in town you'll have to stay

(as sung by Iain MacKintosh)

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

Sandy Fleming wrote:
"How do villages in England come to have names like "Canada" and
"Pensylvania"?"

Simple. In most cases it would refer to return migration of emigrants who
made their fortunes overseas, and established a modest (or not so modest)
plot of land, perhaps with their Canadian-born wife and children.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

I understand that somewhere in Eastern Germany there's a small town called
Amerika.

Go figure!