LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.19 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 20 05:59:54 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.JUL.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: David Barrow <davidab at telefonica.net.pe>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.19 (02) [E]

> From: Ben J. Bloomgren <godsquad at cox.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.17 (14) [E]
>
> "Wardôn Frankish Garder - French, to keep"
>
> Henno, Ron and all, is this where we get the broad term "ward?" Do all of
> its meanings come from Wardôn, or have some come through other means?
> Ben
>
> ----------

From:
http://www.etymonline.com/

David Barrow

ward (n.)     O.E. weard "a guarding, a watchman, a sentry," from W.Gmc.
*wardo (cf. O.S. ward, O.N. vörðr, O.H.G. wart). Used for administrative
districts (at first in the sense of guardianship) from 1378; of hospital
divisions from 1749. Meaning "minor under control of a guardian" is from
1433. Ward-heeler is 1890, from heeler "loafer, one on the lookout for
shady work" (1870s).

ward (v.)     O.E. weardian "to keep guard," from P.Gmc. *wardojan- (cf.
O.S. wardon, O.N. varða "to guard," O.Fris. wardia, M.Du. waerden "to
take care of," O.H.G. warten "to guard, look out for, expect," Ger.
warten "to wait, wait on, nurse, tend"), from *wardo- (see ward (n.)).
Fr. garder, It. guardare, Sp. guardar are Gmc. loan-words. Meaning "to
parry, to fend off" (now usually with off) is recorded from 1571.

warden     c.1225, "one who guards," from O.N.Fr. wardein, from Frankish
*warding- (cf. O.Fr. guardenc), from *wardon "to watch, guard" (see ward
(v.)). Meaning "governor of a prison" is recorded from c.1300.

wardrobe     1387, "room where wearing apparel is kept," earlier "a
private chamber" (c.1300), from O.N.Fr. warderobe, variant of O.Fr.
garderobe "place where garments are kept," from warder "to keep, guard"
(see ward (v.)) + robe "garment" (see robe). Meaning "a person's stock
of clothes for wearing" is recorded from c.1400. Sense of "movable
closed cupboard for wearing apparel" is recorded from 1794. Meaning
"room in which theatrical costumes are kept" is attested from 1711.

-ward     adv. suffix expressing direction, O.E. -weard "toward," lit.
"turned toward," sometimes -weardes, with genitive singular ending of
neuter adjectives, from P.Gmc. *warth (cf. O.S., O.Fris. -ward, O.N.
-verðr), variant of PIE *wert- "to turn, wind," from base *wer- "to
turn, bend" (see versus). The original notion is of "turned toward."