LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.07.20 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 20 21:44:21 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.JUL.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>
Subject: Fluss vs. Stroom

Moin tosamen,

for High-German "Fluss" my dictionaries tell me two different things
1) Stroom (Sass)
2) Fluss (Hermann-Winter, Mecklenborg)

I have heard that "Stroom" is supposed to be the original one. And even in
High German (here in Hamburg) we refer to big rivers as "Strom", like the
Elbe river or the Rhine. But in High Germany we would not consider the
Alster
or the Krückau to be Strom, but Fluss.

What are your ideas about Stroom. How big does a river have to be, in oder
deserve being a "Stroom", and what is below. Is there anything between
"Stroom" and "Beek"? Are there dialect differences? I was surprised that the
Mecklenborg dictionary does not list Stroom, but maybe they are too far away
from rivers that are "Stroom"s?

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann
Hamburg, Germany

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Names

Hi, Heiko!

_Fluss_ in Mecklenburg dialect clearly is a German loanword.  You can tell
by the High German shifts.  If it were of Saxon origin it would have to be
something like *_vloud_ (*<Floot>, which actually means "flood"), and
related to this is _vleyt_ (<Fleet>) 'city canal' (like Dutch _gracht_).
They all go back to _vleyten_ (<fleten> 'to flow').

As far as I can tell the only options in the North Saxon dialects are
_stroom_ and _beek_, as well neutral _water_ (<Water>).  _Stroom_ is usually
a large river, _beek_ a brook, rivulet or smaller river, and _water_ (like
Scots _watter_) any sort of stream, sometimes lake or pool.  If I hear _Sey
keymen by 'n water an_ (<Se kemen bi 'n Water an>, 'They arrived at a
"water"') I would assume it is a river of some sort.

Kumpelmenten,