LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.07.20 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 21 05:08:48 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.JUL.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Hi Heiko!

Heiko wrote:

> From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>
> Subject: Fluss vs. Stroom
>
> Moin tosamen,
>
> for High-German "Fluss" my dictionaries tell me two different things
> 1) Stroom (Sass)
> 2) Fluss (Hermann-Winter, Mecklenborg)
>
> I have heard that "Stroom" is supposed to be the original one. And
> even in
> High German (here in Hamburg) we refer to big rivers as "Strom", like the
> Elbe river or the Rhine. But in High Germany we would not consider the
> Alster
> or the Krückau to be Strom, but Fluss.
>
> What are your ideas about Stroom. How big does a river have to be, in
> oder to
> deserve being a "Stroom", and what is below. Is there anything between
> "Stroom" and "Beek"? Are there dialect differences? I was surprised
> that the
> Mecklenborg dictionary does not list Stroom, but maybe they are too
> far away
> from rivers that are "Stroom"s?
>
> Any suggestions?

Primarily, in Brabant, we have _beek_ for a brook (Dutch _broek_ means
marshland in English however).

Two other words must have been very productive in the past though, as
there are lots of toponymical relics: _vliet_ and _voer_.
_Vliet_ seems to hint more at water flowing swiftly than _voer_ (as an
adjective 'e vlietig maske' = 'a spirited, lively girl'). 'Vlie(land)'
and 'Flevo(land)' (latinization) in the Netherlands are other examples.
'Voer' gets umlaut in Brabant and then becomes 'vüür', like in the
village of Tervuren, near Brussels.

A ditch is called 'ne grecht', _gracht_ in Standard Dutch < 'graft' ~
'graf', both derived from the verb 'graven' (D), 'to dig' (E). I never
heard anybody use the word _sloot_ (D) around here...very common in the
North though. The word _kanaal_ ('canal' (E)) is not native here
either...always 'vààt' < _vaart_ (D). Other options are _water_ and
_loop_ (and 'waterloop' of course, but that's more of a schoolish word).

Regarding big streams, _vloed_ has become obsolete in my neck of the
woods, and has been entirely replaced by _rivier_.

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

PS: Classifying streams (according to their size) may become just as
confusing as understanding why every little bump in this landscape is
termed "berg" ;-)