LL-L "Language competency" 2005.07.21 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 21 14:57:11 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.JUL.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Language competency" [E]

> From: Holger Weigelt <platt at holger-weigelt.de>
> Subject: "Language competency"
>
> Of course: language reflects the way of life of it's speakers, their
> special
> cultural background, their view onto their environment and the world as a
> whole. The educational background becomes a main feature if the language
> is
> restricted to a limited social group or class. And where the language has
> been supressed or suffers from low esteem  it's development stagnates and
> looses the ability to adapt to changing concepts of life, economy and
> values. If You hear Your 'real' LS-natives it will sound quite natural if
> they for example talk about matters of rural life but if people try to
> discuss features of modern life it often will sound very strange even if
> they speak LS competently (of course with loans but no (or low)
> contamination). Moreover it will sound the more artificial the better they
> speak it.

I wonder?

This is similar in Scots but is thrown into much sharper relief in British
Sign Language where people _have_ to learn to start signing technical
language because they can't just resort to English as a Scots speaker might
(or they can - but the solution in terms of fingerspelling is too clumsy in
practice).

It's possible to observe phases in the creation of sign language vocabulary
for technical subjects. One sign which is under creation at the moment is
the sign for "DVD".

At first this was just fingerspelled. But the problem with fingerspelling
lots of new terms is that it's time-consuming and difficult to "read", and
even worse, impossible to incorporate into BSL grammar.

So some wiseacre (not a native signer, I suspect) got the idea of forming
the fingerspelling into one sign by holding up two fingers of the left hand
and spelling a "D" on each finger in turn. This is still unnatural - a
"V"-shaped left hand isn't part of BSL grammar (unless it merely mimics the
right hand), but this sign is used a lot at the moment.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a friend signing this sign with only one
finger held up on the left hand. This is good BSL sign structure so I
started using it. No complaints until last night when this very same friend
who I first saw using it tried to correct me back to the original form! But
I think what's going on is a natural process - when signing quickly the
malformed signs tend to get replaced with more correct ones even if the
signer doesn't notice.

I think what this means is that even although Scots and Low Saxon may seem
artificial and perhaps too Anglicised/Germanised, there is an ongoing
process and if people determine to use Scots and Low Saxon in these
registers then natural forms for these registers will eventually develop.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/