LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.23 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jul 23 19:24:56 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JUL.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.23 (01) [E]

I'm not Arthur, but <rakker>, originally meaning skinner and toilet
cleaner (!),  is from <rakken> = to sweep/wipe together, to clean up dirt.
This is an intensive form of <raken>, to rake, which originally meant to
scrape together, to grub. I don't know about Gothic, but in Swedish and
Old Norse <raka> means to grub, too.

Ingmar

I'm not Arthur, but <rakker>, originally meaning skinner and toilet
cleaner (!),  is from <rakken> = to sweep/wipe together, to clean up dirt.
This is an intensive form of <raken>, to rake, which originally meant to
scrape together, to grub. I don't know about Gothic, but in Swedish and
Old Norse <raka> means to grub, too.

Ingmar

Reinhard schreev: