LL-L "Tradition" 2005.07.25 (07) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 25 21:56:20 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JUL.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Tradition" 2005.07.25 (03) [E/LS]

Helge wrote:
> We also have the tradition of  "fell versuupen" (drink somebodies skin
off)

I think that a more accurate explanation would be "drinking away the money
we got for the skin".

Why am I now thinking of the beautiful, poignant song "Tie me kangaroo down,
sport"?

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

Helge Tietz wrote:
"We also have the tradition of "fell versuupen" (drink somebodies skin off)
in the district of Rendsborg and for some this might be an ambarassing idea
but I know that quite a few Asian countries have similar traditions where a
funeral is rather a feast to eat and drink."

Irish wakes, and funerals in most Celtic areas in my experience, are feasts
with heavy emphasis on drinking. Like you say, it is probably a celebration
of life among those left. Don't know what the experience of Lowlandic
cultures are.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.