LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.27 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 27 14:24:00 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JUL.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.26 (09) [E]

English harness, Dutch harnas, which look typical French loans to me.
I'll look it up in the Dutch etymological dictionary.

NEW says:
Middle Dutch harnasc, hernasc, harnas, harnes, harnis from Old French
harnasc, hanais, harneis, from Old Breton harnaidg, harnez.
But there is a Germanic connection: French Harnas is "crossed" with
harneis, from Old Norse hernest = army stock (her, heer, heir= army).

Ingmar

Jonny Meibohm: