LL-L "Resources" 2005.07.27 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 27 14:25:54 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JUL.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2005.07.26 (08) [E]

Jonny wrote:
"Nowhere to find 'Monkeyhanger', 'twocer' and 'numpty'."

As I understand it, "Monkeyhanger" as a nickname for people from Hartlepool
is related to their football club - the mascot is a fella in a monkey suit
named "H'Angus the Monkey". He was elected mayor a couple of years ago and
now goes by the "daylight" name of Stuart Drummond.

"Numptie" was, I thought, a Scots word deriving from "empty" as in
"empty-headed".

Isaac M Davis wrote:
"Wow. I don't know much at all about the intra-Cornish rivalry, but just as
an outsider, looking at the different orthographies, KK seemed to me to make
the most sense."

Well, bear in mind my reply was to our Dan Prohaska. As we are both two
people linked to the language movement I would not feel the need to mince
words as he knows what I am on about. I would not discourage anyone from
learning whatever variety of Cornish is at hand to them. But within the
language movement itself I would discourage KK.

If UC is modern English synthesised from Shakespeare, then KK is modern
English synthesised from what a computer predicts Chaucer perhaps / maybe /
supposed / might should have sounded like.

"Could you recommend a good book on the history of the Cornish revival?"

Dan might know of more recent works. I don't think there's a book
specifically dealing with the controversies within the revival movement,
although I have read the odd article in various linguistics journals, and
our dilemma is regularly featured in Cornish Studies, the journal of the
Cornish Studies unit at the University of Exeter (!) if it is still
published. (I left Cornwall seven years ago.)

A good introduction to the Cornish Language generally, including the pre-KK
language movement, is Ellis, Peter Berresford. The Cornish Language and Its
Literature (1974). Very in-depth.

Happy hunting! Glad to see interest in agon tavaz ('our language'). Lowena
tha whye! ("Happiness to you!")

Criostóir.