LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.27 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 27 15:25:56 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JUL.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <godsquad at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.26 (07) [E]

"But a proper "z" is common."

What is the status of the palatalization of s near other consonants like p?
How far north would one still here "schterk" for "sterk?"
Ben

----------

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>

Dear Lowlanders,

Actually the border between the Low Saxon dialects and Central-Franconian
dialects (Middle German) is in parts very sharp, it is only in the Rhinland
and around Berlin where it is difused but it is very sharp between
Westphalian and Hessian. I remember the inhabitants of Westphalian-speaking
Istha to the north of Kassel telling me that they cannot understand the
inhabitants of the village of Balhorn just 5 km to the south of it which
indeed is already Middle German-Hessian speaking. This is also reflected in
the traditional housebuilding, Istha had, what they called locally, "Saxon"
houses while Balhorn already had Franconian ones, the old border between the
Saxon empire and the Franconian empire was still obvious. So it depends
where you are whether the the linguistic border is sharp or difused. In my
childhood I used to live in Kaarst-Buettgen in the Lower Rhine area for a
while. Buettgen was a village just to the north of the Benrath Line, it had
"ut" for out, "buk" for belly but "salz" for salt, "holz" for wood etc. It
had a transitional Limburgian dialect and the further North-West you go the
more Lowlandic the dialects became but there were exceptions to the rule,
the city-dialect of M.-Glabbeek (Moenchengladbach) resembled in many ways
more "Koelsch" (the dialect of the city of Cologne) than the dialects of the
surrounding villages, possibly the city-inhabitants found it more
prestigious and sophisticated to copy habits of the great city of Cologne
which is still in many ways the cultural centre of the Rhinland region,
including the Lower Rhine area. The Cologne-dialect is already quite
influenced by Middle-Franconian and is defenitely south of the Benrath-Line.
Old documents of the city of Nuys (Neuss) also confirm that the Limburgian
speech of the area used to be a lot more Lowlandic but that has changed in
the last 300-400 years, probably due to the influence of Cologne.

Groeten

Helge