LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.27 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 27 19:57:04 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JUL.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

Beste Ron,

> Reinhard wrote:
>
>> By the way, those of you who know German (including second language
>> learners), can you understand Missingsch when we write it?

Definitely. Almost everything. It helps a lot when I try pronouncing the
sentences, as my eyes aren't used yet to the "exotic" spelling ;-) .

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

PS: Maybe we can also make some kind of a quiz for other Germanic
dialects, like the one that Gabriele sent us the link for.

---------

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>

Beste Ben,

You wrote:

> From: Ben J. Bloomgren <godsquad at cox.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.26 (07) [E]
>
> "But a proper "z" is common."
>
> What is the status of the palatalization of s near other consonants
> like p?
> How far north would one still here "schterk" for "sterk?"
> Ben

I'll give you some examples of words that can be heard in western Brabant:

"schterk" for "sterk"
"schtoem" for "stom"
"schlüm" for "slim"
"schlààpe(n)" for "slapen"...

Not everybody pronounces it this way though, you can hear it more
frequently in lower social classes and among older people. Yet, this
area is clearly located north(west) of the ik/ich line which cuts
straight through the southeast of Brabant. In some way, Franconian
dialects give people that want to classify Germanic dialects a hard
time, as they seem to be neither/both southern and nor/both northern.
They have varying degrees of southern and northern features, ranging from:

Ostfränkisch (definitely High German)
Rheinfränkisch
Moselfränkisch
Ripuarisch