LL-L "Delectables" 2005.07.27 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 27 22:39:06 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JUL.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Tom Byro wrote:

> I just picked about 25 pounds of wild rose hips. I am busy cleaning
> them and removing the seeds and I plan to freeze them.   I saw some
> interesting recipes for rose hip soup on the internet.  Does anyone
> have any lowlands recipes for the things?

Here you go:

Haagbuttensupp | Hagebuttensuppe
(North German Rosehip Soup)

Ingredients:
   375 grams (13 oz.) rosehips
   1 medium- to large-size apple
   1 liter (34 fl.oz. US, 35 fl. oz. UK) water
   30 grams (1 oz.) cornstarch or potato starch
   lemon juice (to taste)
   sugar (to taste)
   pinch of salt

Method:
   o  Clean, deseed and wash the rosehips.
   o  Wash the apple, and cut it into fairly small pieces.
   o  Place rosehips and apple into boiling water, soon thereafter turn
       down the heat, and simmer for 60-90 minutes.
   o  Pass the soup through a strainer, letting only soft fruit flesh pass.
   o  Reheat the soup.
   o  Dissolve starch in a little water and pour the mixture into the soup
       while constantly stirring the soup to prevent clumping.
   o  Add lemon juice, sugar (or sweetener) and salt to taste.
   o  Serve either warm or chilled.

This is preferably eaten with semolina dumplings* or, if eaten chilled, with
floating dollops of egg whites beaten to soft peaks with sugar (or
sweetener) and a few drops of lemon juice (to be added when nearly done).

* See Clara Kramer-Freudenthal’s recipe accompanying her recipe for cherry
soup: http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/kramer/kirschensupp.htm)

A nice touch for special occasions:
Serve the chilled soup topped with 2-3 eggwhite "clouds" (see above) and a
rose (floating on top of the soup if pesticide-free, or next to the bowl if
doubtful). Use either the kind of ("primitive") rose that makes edible
rosehips (among my favorites), or any type of edible rose.  Alternatively,
sprinkle some edible rose petals onto the soup.  This kicks it up a notch or
three, making for elegant summertime entertaining.

Note 1:
Fruit soups are traditionally very popular in Northern Germany, perhaps due
to Central and East European connections. Chilled, they are a favorite
traditional summer treat. They may be eaten hot on cool nights and,
preserved and heated, are a nice treat during the cool season.  (Semolina
dumplings are perfect for hot fruit soup.)

Note 2:
Rosehips are exceptionally rich in Vitamin C. Rosehip tea is a popular drink
during the cold season.

Enjoy!
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: Talking about fruit ...  yeast-risen sheet cake with sour plum topping
(eaten with whipped cream) is one of the favorites of people around here for
whom I have made it (who have named it "plum pizza") .  It's a novel concept
for Americans, though a traditional treat in Northern and Eastern Germany
and farther east.  We ate it on Sundays every late summer and early autumn
when I was a child.  Anyone interested?