LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.27 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 27 22:59:04 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JUL.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Þjóðríkr Þjóðreksson <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.27 (06) [E]

Does west brabant really have this sjl- etc? Here in Antwerp it's not found,
and also more eastern people I know don't use it. Well, nowadays it's found
in Antwerp, but only among youth, seems to be trendy or something. Probably
dialectless people that want to devellop their own non-standard language
variant or something.
Zandvliet tends to it, but in general the s and z here sound already close
to sh and zh, I call it "suizend" but dunno in English. So sl and st etc
don't differ from other s's.

Just watched the series Matroesjka's on dvd, it's a series mainly in
Antwerpian dialect (which was also on tv a while ago).
Even one as unknowledged as I discovered a lot of mistakes, but it are
mistakes that even a lot of the more dialectical speakers nowadays make...
and the actors are of course mainly not antwerpish speaking (I think) so
it's a good try anyway.
They always use kon(ne) for "could" instead of kost(e), and ebbe for emme
(to have). They also seemed to be afraid to contract the diphthongs (aai > e
and oai > ö) in many closed or unstressed syllables, as is usually done. But
in general I enjoyed the way of talking.

I don't know if the other Brabanders here have seen the series but if so,
how understandable was it? (hiphiphurray they didn't subtitle it so everyone
was forced to do his best to understand =) )

Greetings and good night.

Diederik Masure

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Diederik (above):

> Zandvliet tends to it, but in general the s and z here sound already
> close to sh and zh, I call it "suizend" but dunno in English. So sl
> and st etc don't differ from other s's.

German friends of mine simply call it _nuscheln_.*  ;-)  The tip of the
tongue is place onto the alveolar ridge farther back than for /s/ but not as
far back as for /S/ ("sh").  This pronunciation is common and usually
limited to language varieties that do not have the /S/ ("sh") sound, thus
have more room for the /s/ to move since there is no danger of mistaking it
for /S/ ("sh").  While not all speakers have it, it is a fairly striking
feature for instance in Finnish, Estonian, Greek, European Spanish
(Castilian) and Dutch.

* A friend who learned Spanish of Spain agreed with my own choice of Latin
American Spanish, saying about Spaniards, _Die nuscheln immer so!_.  ;-)

P.S.: By the way, Diederik, it may interest you to know and either amuse or
appall you that your familiar name Didi has a meaning in Mandarin Chinese:
弟弟 _dìdi_ 'little brother', 'younger brother' (pronounced pretty much
alike).  It is also a term of address, occasionally used by someone older
who is not a brother or sister.  If Chinese people hear or read your name
they might find it rather "cute."