LL-L "Delectables" 2005.07.25 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 28 04:10:22 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JUL.2005 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.07.27 (07) [E]seln

Re Rose Hip “Soup”,

Ah yes, I do remember that one. We were eating it under an enormous brown
beach tree. It was dessert, something like rodgrod med floden (Please
imagine the symbols, I can’t find my Scandinavian cookbook). The first
course was " gepofte aardappels " (potatoes from the ashes of the fire. That
taste is also unforgettable) and there were also chanterelles on toast with
thin slices of ham. You know what Ron, I'll swap you my other Grandmothers
Plum Cake, which is on a short crust for yours on the yeast crust. You'll
have to wait for a week or so, because they are putting a new floor in my
kitchen and I cannot find anything, let alone my recipe file.

I hope everybody loves the summer wheather. Jacqueline

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Hi, Jacqueline!

Are you back from tailing the wailing whales, or are you still going?

> I hope everybody loves the summer wheather.

Isn't it great right now in our neck of the woods?  Warmer than in
California!

> You know what Ron, I'll swap you my other Grandmothers Plum Cake,
> which is on a short crust for yours on the yeast crust.

Top!  (Do you say that too for "Deal!" in the Netherlands?)

I've made that sheet cake three or four times for folks at work in the span
of quite a few years.  You know how people always leave one politeness
piece?  Not in this case.  I had to make two large lots last time, and it
was all gone within an hour or so.  It makes people of Jewish and Slavonic
background turn nostalgic for their באָבעס _bobes_ ~ _babcie_ ~  _бабусе_ ~
_бабули_ (grannies).

> You'll have to wait for a week or so, because they are putting
> a new floor in my kitchen and I cannot find anything, let
> alone my recipe file.

Same here, although no new floor, alas.  I never know where my books are.
About 80% have preceded me to California, including my old-time
(19th-century) Hamburg cookbook.

> We were eating it under an enormous brown beach tree. It
> was dessert, something like rodgrod med floden (Please
> imagine the symbols, I can’t find my Scandinavian cookbook).

Ah, yes!  _Rødgrød med fløde_ ("red grits with cream") -- not only a
delectable Danish-Jutish-North German desert, of which my LL-L-lurking
friend Wolfgang (friend since childhood, no less!) undoubtedly is the
all-time champion maker, but it's also the ultimate _pièce de resistance_
for learners to prove their Danish pronunciation prowess.
(Listen to it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B8dgr%C3%B8d_med_fl%C3%B8de)

Find a Danish recipe here: http://www.experienceplus.com/recipe_rodgrod.html
Find Tant Clara's recipe here:
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/kramer/rodegruett.htm

Perhaps one of these days Wolfgang will share his incredible recipe, which
he inherited from his dad, I believe.  (No matter what season, he's made it
for us every we've visited Hamburg so far.  Good lad!)

***

   RODEGRÜTT

   Kiek mal, wat lütt Hein hüüt itt!
   All'ns rundüm hett he vergeten.
   Rodegrütt! Dat is en Eten,
   Rodegrütt!

   In de School, de letzte Stünn
   kunn he sik op nix besinn'n.
   Un in't Bookstabeern un Lesen
   is he lang so dumm nich wesen.
   Man he keem bi dat un düt
   jümmer mank sien Rodegrütt!

   ,,Na, lütt Heini, noch en beten?''
   Mudder hett hüüt veel to möten:
   Hans un Hein un Stien un Greet
   eet, as güng dat üm de Wett -
   Rodegrütt!

   Leddig is de grote Grapen.
   Greten ielt, em uttoschrapen.
   Heini man, de lütte Deef,
   hüllt mit beiden Hann'n den Sleef.
   Wat dor allns noch binnen sitt!
   Rodegrütt!

***
My translation:

   RED GRITS

   Guess what li'l Henry'll have today!
   He goes around all in a daze.
   Red grits! What a treat!
   Red grits!

   While at school the last few classes
   he can't remember anything,
   and usually he's not as daft
   with his spelling and his reading.
   Whatever it is he's doing,
   his mind gets back to red grits.

   "Well, li'l Henry, want some more?"
   What a job Mom's got today:
   John and Henry and Chris and Mag
   eating as though it were a race --
   red grits.

   And the big bowl is all empty now.
   Maggie runs to scrape it out.
   But Henry, the little thief, already got
   hold of the spoon with both his hands.
   There sure is plenty left in there!
   Red grits!