LL-L "Delectables" 2005.07.28 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 28 14:42:35 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUL.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.07.25 (11) [E]

Ron wrote:
> Top!  (Do you say that too for "Deal!" in the Netherlands?)

I don't mean to be nit-picking, but shouldn't that be "Topp"? That's what
Duden says, and it's also the way it appears in Grimm's fairy tales, for
instance (even the Lower Saxon ones, like the race between the hare and the
hedgehog).

Don't want to discourage you, but I moved three months ago, and still don't
know where all my books are...

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L Delectables"

Hi all,

Traditionally, Afrikaners also make a dried fruit soupy dish (aptly called
Dro?vrugte) with peaches, apricots, pitted plums, pears, apples and raisins,
slowly cooked in a little water and sugar and sometimes thickened with some
custard powder. This is eaten with the main meal and goes well with a
garlic-stuffed leg of lamb or a pork roast and superb with venison such as
springbok or rooibok.

By the time my aunts in the Bushmanland served bottled quinces, we'd know
that the bags of dried fruits were op en klaar!

Incidentally, the Mennonites' Plumi Moos is very similar but cooked with
milk.

Lekker eet!
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Hi, Gabriele!

> I don't mean to be nit-picking, but shouldn't that be "Topp"?

Indeed.  Just, I "inter-spelled" it, should have given _Topp_ in
parentheses, though.

Hi also to you, Elsie!

> Traditionally, Afrikaners also make a dried fruit soupy dish (aptly
> called Dro?vrugte) with peaches, apricots, pitted plums, pears,
> apples and raisins, slowly cooked in a little water and sugar and
> sometimes thickened with some custard powder.

Now, this rings a bell!  We used to eat that too in my childhood.  Well,
it's a variant ... containing ... meat.  Yes, soup with dried soup and meat!
Well, you could have it without the meat also.  Its name?  I'm not sure, but
I vaguely remember something like LS _warme sup_ (<warme Supp>), German
_warme Suppe_ "warm soup."  Might that be it?  Anyone?

Oh, and you had it with the inevitable semolina dumpling (LS _grys-kluyten_
<Griesklüten>, Missingsch _Griesklüten_, Northern German _Griesklöße_).