LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.28 (03) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 28 14:47:34 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUL.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: David Winterburn <david.winterburn at steinmuller.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.26 (07) [E]

Heather and Jonny Meibohm,

wrote:

> If the Lowland languages didn't take part in the great High German Sound
> Shift, then doesn't that indicate their languages must be purer , more
> original than HG??

More original, I have to agree, but also 'poorer' in vocabulary and grammar.
HG is a synthesis of many languages, may be of Germanic origin or from
somehere different. This I guess is one of the reasons why it is dominating
the Old German forms.

I heard a rumour though I have never seen it written anywhere that Hitler
wanted to restart the Old Saxon language (like Hebrew in Israel)  as a sort
of Lingua Franca for the Germanic languages in Western Europe. If it is
true, he must have considered it to be the mother tongue of the general
area. I believe he considered the Germans of the North to be closer to being
pure Germans than the South. He apparently also showed a lot of interest in
the Frisians. He must of had some kind of vision of uniting all
Germanics.(Don't confuse me as a Hitler fan)

Regards

Dave Winterburn