LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.29 (07) [D/E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jul 29 19:44:04 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JUL.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.29 (01) [D/E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>Btw, _pikken_ means 'to nick', 'to steal' in Brabantish.<

Could this be connected to 'pikey' which derives from Romany.

A Pikey  or to be pikey  is a shifty person / to act suspiciously

Heather

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall;
The times they are a-changing.
OED doesn't seem to list this one.<

I've always understood it as a poetic remenant of the past participle
prefix  HG 'ge-'   Med. Eng   'y-'     >>>> poetry as 'a-'

Heather