LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.29 (07) [D/E/LS/German/Missingsch]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jul 29 22:12:32 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JUL.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Utz H. Woltmann <uwoltmann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.29 (01) [D/E]

Jacqueline wrote

>> (though the noun _Pieke_ 'pointed instrument', 'pike', and these seem
>> suspiciously Low Saxon, for otherwise I'd expect *_Peike_).  I wonder if
>> this _puik_ = _puyk_ = _*piek_ is related to English "peak" (= point,
>> top),
>> which in English is known only since the 16th century (Lowlands loan?)
>> and
>> appears to be related to both "pike" and "beak."  (This is a complex
>> one!)

Moin alltohoop,

wi seggt: "Wenn Di een mit de Pike in de Rippen piekt, denn kiekst
pikiert" Allens klaar?

Ruum Hart, klaar Kimming
Utz H. Woltmann

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.29 (07) [D/E/German]

I always thought "pike" was a word for kind of road, as in "turnpike",
hence "pikey", a Gypsie-like traveller on those roads.

Ingmar

In one of my Low Saxon two native dialects, that of Drenthe, <scheuveln>
["sx2:v=ln] means to skate, and <scheuvels> ["sx2:v=ls] are skates.
These seem to be cognates of Standard Dutch "schuifelen" to shuffle,
and "schuiven" to shove, of course, so maybe your "schaveren" is part of
that, too. More likely than being derived from hypothetic French or even
Arabic words (did you ever see people skate in Arabian countries?)

Ingmar

>So what? Daar hebben we toch schaatsen voor in de Lowlands? ;-)
>Doet me trouwens aan het leuke Zuidnederlandse woord voor 'schaatsen'
>denken: 'schaverdijnen'. Tot nu toe nog niet geheel bevredigend
>verklaard, maar misschien als volgt: 'schaveren' als frequentatief van
>'schaven' en verder invloed van een hypothetisch Frans woord
>*savatin(e).>

I think the assumption that [j] is "older" than "[g] isn't so strange.
Some people expressed their displeasure here not so long ago about the
Dutch "guttural <g>", but they are probably not aware that this is the
original pronunciation of g in Germanic; Proto-Germanic had a soft or
fricative pronunciation for g, b and d, <g> sounding like Dutch or Low
Yes, in English as well, the [j] sounds in words like <yell>, <yesterday>,
and not from hard g as in get etc. Hard g's before e, i and other front
vowels in English are usually from Old Norse, although modern Norwegian
pronounces <g> as <j> in this position...
And, as I stated before, from palatal <g> to <j> is only a small step.

Ingmar

From: Þjóðríkr Þjóðreksson <didimasure at hotmail.com>

Thanks Luc for teaching me a Southern word for Schaatsen, let's hope I won't
forget it and can use it :)

Would stol as in kerststol belong to the same stulle family?

Diederik Masure