LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.30 (01) [D/E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jul 30 20:16:46 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.JUL.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Hi Heather,

You wrote:

>> Btw, _pikken_ means 'to nick', 'to steal' in Brabantish.<
>
> Could this be connected to 'pikey' which derives from Romany.
>
> A Pikey  or to be pikey  is a shifty person / to act suspiciously
>
> Heather

Doubt it. 'Pikey' seems to be derived from 'turnpike', denoting people
loitering about a tollgate; and setting up camp there (in the past). The
'pike' in 'turnpike' is related to Romance words like French 'pic' and
Spanish 'pico' (pointed extremity). Looking this up, I came across an
interesting website http://www.urbandictionary.com , which is an urban
slang dictionary.
Lots of interesting (and funny) stuff there!

Oh yes, Brabantish 'pikken' on the other hand, is cognate with English
'to pick', like in the expression 'pick and steal'.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx