LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.30 (02) [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jul 31 02:27:36 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.JUL.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.30 (01) [D/E/LS]

Hello you all who are involved in the skate controversy:
Maybe this is way out of left field. In Dutch there is the ending
"deine/dijne" for little one as in "poppedeine/dijne?" a term of endearment
for a baby.
Could that Have happened to your "schaverdijnes"? Jacqueline

And also: Ron, thank you very much for your learned etymology of Schmaunt
I am duly impressed, but Schmalz, which must come from schmelzen is
etymologically unrelated? Jacqueline

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Jacqueline, for the compliment.  Yet, lo, the vultures, they are
a-circling ...

I wonder then if "smooth" and _smetana_ are related.

About _deine/dijne_ ... Related to Low Saxon _deyrn(e)_ 'girl' and German
_Dirne_ ('girl' >) 'whore'?  Nah!

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Ron,

to _Schmant_ Duden says:

*Schmant, der; -[e]s (landsch. für Sahne; ostmitteld. für Matsch, Schlamm)*

and I guess it could be o.k., because I remember my grandparents from
Eastern Prussia using it as a normal word for sour cream.

Today it ranked up to a common word in G though often wrongly written as
'Schmand'.

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm