LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.31 (01) [D/E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jul 31 18:25:05 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 31.JUL.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.30 (01) [D/E/LS]

> From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

[...]

> The first part is not that difficult to explain, as
> it is indeed clearly
> related with either the group of "schuiven" or
> "schaven". Kiliaan
> attests 'schuyverdijnen', next to 'schaverdijnen',
> and we do have a verb

[...]

---

Als Kiliaan schuiver met een r schrijft, zou je toch
denken dat dit op de persoon slaat die zo doet, en dat
dan 'dijnen' met een werkwoord in verband moet worden
gebracht  {doener?}.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>

In message <01b401c59543$9ca42e00$21b88e8c at D5SYLB51>, Lowlands-L
<lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net> writes
>Doubt it. 'Pikey' seems to be derived from 'turnpike', denoting people
>loitering about a tollgate; and setting up camp there (in the past).

Or using the turnpike to go from place to place of residence and
employment.

It is sometimes used in modern English to mean 'thief', but is better
avoided even in that context, because when used to denote ethnicity it
is highly offensive.

Cheers,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)

----------

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.30 (02) [E/German]

Thank you, Luc Hellincx, Jonny Meibohm and Ron for all the data that you
found for "Schmaunt" and its linguistic brethren. The map was very
interesting. What a shame that we are living in such a "homogenizing"
century.
It does not strike me as extraordinary that "sour cream" and "sweet cream"
should have two different roots, they are made differently. Luc, thanks so
much for the explanation of the genesis of butterfly, that is nifty.
After all your input I had the feeling that "Ben ik me daar even met mijn
neus in de boter gevallen!" (Dutch saying for "was I ever lucky!") Is that
an isolated expression or does it occur in other Lowland Languages?
Nogmaals bedankt. Jacqueline

---------

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Beste Luc,

tou *Sahne*:
> Vermutlich entlehnt aus afrz. saime
> "Rahm".
Opp Nedderdyytsch kennt wi ouk 'seymig', dat meynt wat by G:(lt. Duden
veraltet: 'seimig'), 'zähflüssig' ("Viskosität geringer als von Wasser"), E:
'viscous'. Op Old Saxon hevv ick funnen: 'sêm' = G: 'Seim', 'Nektar'; vgl.
Old High German: 'seim'; Old Germanic: 'saima-, saimaz', Indo-European
'seim-'.
De oulen Franzousen weyrn schynts ne de enkelten, de dennen 'Room' kennt
hevvt ;-)!

Man- wat meenst Du lykers doormit?

> *Abnemete*
>  ist eine Kollektivbildung zum Ver­bum /abnehmen./
Ick kenn dat Wourd ne. Schall dat normal G ween, or oulet Dyytsch?
Un ick müss ouk eyrst rutfinnen, wat eyn 'Kollektiv' sprookwetenschapplich
meynen deyt.

Man- Du bekoomst heyl keyn Geld föör Diin Nohölp, will ick Di woll 'liik
seggen :-)!

Hartlige Greutens

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm