LL-L "Etymology" 2005.06.01 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jun 1 21:36:36 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JUN.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Tom Mc Rae <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.31 (02) [E]

On 01/06/2005, at 6:54 AM, heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
wrote:
  The word is Scottish but it is derived from OF  Corbel  (Mod F Corbeau)

  from which the English corbel (architect)  also comes. The OED quotes a

  version from Chaucer corbet        from the Latin corvus

Thanks to Heather and all you other Lowlanders who responded to my query,
now it's been pointed out to me it is so obvious.
In Scotland Corbels are stepped decorations on the eaves of older buildings,
know as "Crow Steps" which are probably of Flemish origin.
Actually an old granite Local Council building here in Brisbane is probably
the only structure in Queensland showing them.

Regards

Tom Mc Rae

Brisbane Australia

Oh Wad Some Power the Giftie Gie Us

Tae See Oorsel's as Ithers See Us

Robert Burns

----------

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>(1) I guess that Latin _corvus_ (stem /korv-/) is related to Germanic
*_hrabna_ (stem /hrab-n-a/, k- > h-, -b- > -v-), perhaps more likely IE
*_kor-euk-_ > *_korow-_ > *_korw-_ > Latin stem /korv-/ _corv-_; cf.
"crow", thus likely to be onomatopoetic by origin.  (This is my personal
guess, nothing I have found elsewhere so far.)  Cf. Indo-European
*_k(o)r-eug-_ 'to crow', *_k(o)r-euk-_ 'crow'.<

OED has a nice little addition  : belongs to a group of imitative words
i.a.  Sanskrit  'karavas' = crow  literally "that says 'ka'"

So what does Maurus mean?
'Cos I sort of remember that the name Hrabanus Maurus was tautology.

Is Maurus Latin for raven ? I had thought it meant 'black' and that the
word Hrabanus therefore also had originally meant black.

Heather

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Heather (above):

> So what does Maurus mean?
> 'Cos I sort of remember that the name Hrabanus Maurus was tautology.
>
> Is Maurus Latin for raven ? I had thought it meant 'black' and that the
> word Hrabanus therefore also had originally meant black.

Latin _maurus_ means 'Moor', 'Moorish', later also generic for 'African'.

The country name Mauretania (_Maurītānĭa_) is based on it.