LL-L "Etymology" 2005.06.04 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jun 4 16:00:10 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.JUN.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.03 (08) [E]

Diederik wrote:
> Educated foreigners use it as well, I guess. We've spent several lessons
in
> school until everyone could use it right. But most of the people with a
> feeling for the English language seemed already (=before the lessons) to
> know when to use which, and they must have gotten this from anywhere!
> I myself usually use both correct as well.

Well, at least for a German, it is very obvious when to use what, because we
have a different form of the word for each case:

wer = who
wessen = whose
wem = (to) whom
wen = whom

It is therefore natural for us to distinguish the cases this way, and easily
transferrable into English (where the only problem some people have, keeping
apart "wem" and "wen", does not exist). But then, Dutch (and French), for
example, does not make this distinction.

wie = who
wiens, van wie = whose
aan wie, naar wie = whom
wie = whom

So, how "natural" do Dutch speakers feel about using who vs. whom?

Gabriele Kahn

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <godsquad at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.05.03 (01) [D/E]

"to strike"

Does smijten have anything to do with the older English construction to
smite?
Ben

---------