LL-L "Phonology" 2005.05.07 (08) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jun 7 23:19:01 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.JUN.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.05.07 (06) [E]

David Barrow wrote:
"I might add that people's pronunciation of what are supposedly long
monophthongs sometimes comes out with a diphthongal quality /i:/ = [Ii],
[@i] /u:/ = [Uu] so I can see where some might confuse them."

I have extreme difficulty hearing the actual sounds I pronounce. Sometimes I
hear this slight dipthongal quality, but I am not sure how much of what I
hear is actually the rise and fall in tone on the vowel. In the sequence

pit put pat pot pet pate peat pote

I hear monothongs [i] [u] [ae] on the first three and dipthongs on the rest.
The fourth and fifth examples in particular sound like they have strong
schwa glides (although _pet_ sounds like it might be have an [i] glide
instead of a schwa glide). Then again I also hear very strong semi-vowel
glides in the last four cases, so I may be saying what amounts to a
tripthong. Not sure. It sounds like

pate ['p at ejt] peat ['p at i:jt] pote ['p at o:w at t]

As I explained, I have considerable difficulty recognising the phonemes I
pronounce.

Ron wrote:
"I suspect you say [u], i.e., a short version of [u:], with considerable
rounding, and it is this degree of rounding that confuses then (given that
both [u:] and [U] have little rounding in most dialects). They misinterprete
it on the basis on their own limited ranges, and I suspect
that the degree of rounding is the issue. You pronounce it as back, and in
their imitation it becomes front and somewhat rounded. Well, sonethin' like
that."

Yes, this sounds absolutely right. Once or twice in both Australia and
Ireland mimickers have pointed out that my lips are much more active when I
speak, especially around [y] and [u] than they are used to. (It works both
ways: I notice Australians rarely use their top lips when they speak.)

"I often think that many Australians' phonetic inventory has no monophthong
at all, although in their own perception the speakers themselves probably
believe they do."

This is an exceptionally cogent point, Ron. Married to an Australian, I can
(and frequently do) do a perfect Australian accent, to the point that I can
trick Australians into thinking I am dinky-di. (I use this power wisely and
only for good, naturally, and always confess my true accent quickly.) I have
noticed there is a complete lack of monopthongs and that vowels consequently
tend to be longer. This vowel lengthening is why it is easier to imitate an
ocker Australian accent, with its habitual dipthongisation and
tripthongisation, than a standard Australian accent which has softer
dipthongisation. It is also hard to maintain a standard Australian accent
without slipping, by force of vowel length, into ocker.

My wife would be interested in this thread as she is terrified that she is
losing her Australian accent after three years in Ireland. Her natural
accent is standard Australian though my mother-in-law speaks with an ocker
rural West Australian one. Most often my wife says she is mistaken for an
English accent (how I do not know). I now realise that my wife is probably
dropping back on her dipthongisation under the influence of myself (I think
my basic unlengthened vowels [i] [e] and [a] are probably very pure,
although slightly nasal) and the Derry accent, which also has fairly flat
vowels and some nasalisation.

(Interestingly, one of our friends from Queensland who also lived in Derry
ended up sounding almost American because of what must have been a cutting
back on dipthongisation and the conscious pronunciation of [r] in words like
_car_ and _park_.)

Curiously, Australians in Derry are often mistaken for Americans, although
why phonemically speaking I do not know.

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Criostóir.