LL-L "Grammar" 2005.05.08 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jun 8 14:46:31 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.JUN.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ian Pollock <ispollock at shaw.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.05.07 (05) [E]

> From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Grammar
>
> Hi all
>
> as far as I'm concerned let 'whom' die a death. I
> never use it, and I don't think the majority of Brits
> do either unless they're being particularly pedantic.
> It's the same thing as 'if I was' instead of 'if I
> were' and saying 'me and you' in all positions,
> including when it's the subject, instead of 'you and
> I'. It's purely due to the evils of proscriptivism
> that people say things like 'between you and I'. Let
> language live and breathe instead of trying to cage it
> into some kind of perceived 'correct' formula.
>
> Gary

It's true that prescriptivism is a bad and crippling thing, but
remember that one stupidity's opposite is another stupidity. Forms that
have traditionally been considered incorrect should be allowed to
flourish, but that doesn't mean that we should assume that anyone who
uses a more traditional form such as "If I were" is being pedantic or
putting on airs. I would say that in my dialect "if I were" and "if I
was" are both perfectly acceptable (I use both without thinking about
it) and "whom" is a fairly normal thing in certain circumstances. And
while I consider the double negative acceptable in principle, I think
using it in my dialect would indeed be putting on airs - just of a
different kind.
Incidentally, I have a pet theory that I'm going to watch for the next
few years that the who/whom pair is starting to alternate not on the
basis of grammar but rather because of euphony, conditioned among other
things by whether the following sound is a vowel or consonant. I could
be utterly wrong, but we'll see.
On the "between you and I" phenomenon:
Yes, this is bizarre indeed, but condemning the result of prescriptive
grammar is in a way prescriptive as well. Spanish uses a nominative
case form with "between" - "entre tú y yo" (rather than "tí" and "mí",
so why shouldn't English evolve that way?
While as a linguist I have a personal distaste for what people call
"good grammar", I do think that it's healthy if a language has a
tension between conservative and liberal tendencies.
-Ian Pollock

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.05.07 (07) [E]

> Ever since this topic cropped up here, I 've been coming across examples
> left and write.

Oh my, did I really right that?!

Gabriele Kahn