LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.05.10 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jun 10 14:45:32 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.JUN.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <godsquad at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.05.09 (11) [E]

"We kill a lot of objects."

Dennis and all,

I learned a different way to say, "turn on/off." In Albanian, they say open
and close/shut. Hap radjon. Mbyll radjon. I open the radio. I close the
radio.
Ben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Ben, "to shut" for "to turn off" (e.g., "Shut the light!") is common in some
American East Coast English dialects as well.

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>

Inderdaad grappig, Denis, dat jullie apparatenmoordenaars zijn!

Zou dit een overblijfsel zijn uit oude tijden, toen er nog geen radio, TV
of elektrisch licht was?

"Doe't vier dwoad" (doe het vuur dood) klinkt feitelijk niet zo onlogisch.
Vandaaruit naar "doe de lucht dwoad" is maar een kleine stap, het ging
aanvankelijk natuurlijk nog om kaarsen en olielampen, met echte vlammen.
Op een gegeven moment kwam er elektrisch licht, maar de uitdrukking bleef
gelijk. En van het "dood doen" van elektrische lampen naar de radio, en
nog later de televisie, is ook goed voorstelbaar.

Maar eh, zegt men in Kortrijk inmiddels ook al "doe de computer dwoad" ?

Groeten
Ingmar

For the non-Dutch speakers:

Funny indeed, Denis, that you're machine-killers down there!
Maybe a relic from ancient times, when there was no radio, TV or electric
light?

"Kill the fire" doesn't sound so illogical. From there till "kill the
light" is just a small step, at first there were only candles and oil-
lamps, with real flames. Then electric light was invented, but the
expression stayed the same. And from "killing" electric lamps to killing
the radio, and later on the telly, is understandable too.

But ehm, do they already say in modern Kortrijk  "Kill the computer" ?

Ingmar

----------

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>We use it for radio, television, light (doe de lucht dwoad)(kill the
light...).<

Now that is fascinating because stage hands use the same expression in
English

Kill the house lights i.e. turn the auditorium's lights out.

Heather

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

Denis Dujardin wrote:
"One other funny feature of West-Flemish, others do laugh about, is the fact
that we "kill" a lot of objects, when we put them out of function. For
example we say "doedde radio dwoad" (doe de radio dood), meaning "kill the
radio", meaning "officially" turn out the radio!".
We use it for radio, television, light (doe de lucht dwoad) (kill the
light...)."

In many northern England Englishes - including Nottingham English - we say
"dead" for "exceptionally" or "very" - i.e., "ded interestin" for "very
interesting", "ded apie" for "very happy" and "ded od" for "exceptionally
odd". Indeed, I would say it is the standard Nottingham English form for
both "very" and "exceptionally", both of which would be considered Standard
English to NE speakers. It also takes on some of the functions of "really"
as an intensifier - i.e., "I'm really annoyed with you" is "am ded enojd wi
juuw". "It was a really good day" is "It wo ra ded gud dee." (Those of you
who dislike my transcription method will have to struggle on.)

I do not know where this use of "dead" comes from, and if I was not a native
NE speaker I would find it dead odd.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.