LL-L "Language use" 2005.06.12 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jun 13 01:13:16 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.JUN.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ian Pollock <ispollock at shaw.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2005.06.12 (04) [E]

> On the other hand, I am puzzled by the persistence of Spanish here in
> the northern tip of Manhattan. I don't know if it is an unwillingness
> or an inability to learn English on the part of the Spanish speakers.

Spanish speakers speak Spanish among themselves? There doesn't seem to
be anything odd about that. Certainly most of the expats from Canada,
the States, or Britain that I've known of speak English among
themselves in the countries they're living in. It's pretty normal for
people who are close to each other to use the language they know best.
And if there are enough Spanish speakers in Northern Manhattan to make
up a majority or a large minority, it also seems fairly normal that
English wouldn't be popular. I've always thought that language
diversity is a good thing, and if you have to learn one or two phrases
to get around in certain areas, it's not going to kill you.

-Ian Pollock