LL-L "Vigil" 2005.05.15 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jun 15 15:13:34 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JUN.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: James Kramer <kangaroo at mac.com>
Subject: LL-L "Vigil" 2005.06.10 (10) [E/LS]

Gruss aus Australien

Some of you on this list may be aware that I'm the grandson of Clara and
Heinz - known to most as James but always to Oma and Opa as Jimmy.

About a decade ago (when the internet as we know it was still very much in
its nascent stages), I'd been endeavouring to find others who shared Oma's
passion for Platt. It was by discovering this very list that a window opened
between Oma and an enthusiastic group of Platt supporters around the world.

Many (if not most) of you will be familiar with Oma's columns, stories,
recipes and various other forays into both written and spoken Platt. You may
not be aware how courageously (if reluctantly at first) Oma embraced this
internet forum and the evolutionary enhancements that have since followed
(thanks in large part to Reinhard's commitment and dedication, eg
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/kramer/). Considering that Oma first had to
learn the most elemental computing basics, her diligent achievements slowly
typing away on her Mac are a testament to her passion to share and
communicate with you and the Platt community worldwide.

I'm still struggling to accept a tragedy that happened with such swiftness.
My Oma, in her gifted way, might have paralleled it with a Sturmflut or
other sudden harbinger of loss. Since it's still likely to take me some time
before I'm able to come to terms with this, I thought I might focus some
thoughts on the positive - it's something Oma would have done.

There have indeed been many positive things about the last two weeks. On 31
May 2005, Oma and Opa commemorated 65 years of marriage in their inviting
Norderstedt home, surrounded by 4 generations of family. Some of us
travelled from as far away as Canada and Australia to share in a celebration
highlighted by Oma and Opa renewing their wedding vows. It was a rare and
beautiful testament to an enduring love that has become increasingly rare in
modern times.

Just as importantly, Oma and Opa were able to spend quality time with their
dispersed overseas grandchildren and great grandchildren (most who are
otherwise separated by oceans and continents). My sister Michelle and I
developed many beautiful childhood memories at Oma and Opa's, and it was a
treat to see Michelle's two children - including the daughter who shares
Clara's name - sit on the same laps we did as kids.

My Oma was surrounded by loving friends and family on a special, festive and
commemorative occasion. Knowing that, her last moments would have been
filled with peace and happiness. She would have wanted people to remember
her in a spirit of the immense goodness, richness and harmony life offers us
when we look for it, and I hope I'm able to convey just a small fragment of
her positive spirit by sharing these thoughts with you.

James (Jimmy) Kramer, Clara and Heinz's grandson
Queensland, Australia

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Vigil

Thank you, dear James, for those nice words.

I am very sorry about the loss you and your relatives have suffered.  But
you are definitely not alone.  There are many, many close friends, including
myself, in whose lives her passing will leave a large hole.  The last time I
saw her she sat between my wife and me and continually petted our hands
under the table, and then, while you and I were talking, I caught glimpses
of her and my mom sitting together, happily admiring the appletrees in your
grandparents' idyllic garden.  They are both gone now, perhaps admiring
appletrees together somewhere else.

Your oma has touched thousands and thousands of people and has enriched
their lives.  She certainly excelled in her mission.  She did so not only as
a language activist and writer but also with her deep love and compassion.
As our friend Sandy Fleming aptly said  (and I hope he doesn't mind me
quoting him), "hers was an excellent life."  I have accumulated lots of her
writings and will continue the website.

Kindest regards and thoughts to you and yours,