LL-L "Phonology" 2005.05.14 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jun 14 23:58:20 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.JUN.2005 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.05.14 (07) [E]

Elsie Zinsser wrote:
"...this gradual running from one sound into another also occurs in
Afrikaans... The first consonant [d] starts off as a sound similar to /r/
and then ends as a clear [d] in the second consonant and is often eventually
pronounced by many as [para] ... Is this what you're after?"

If it only occurs in this situation in Afrikaans. Many Englishes (including
Nottingham English) have a rule by which medial [t] > [d] > [r] e.g., "get
it" is usually "gerit" and "get out" is "geraat". I think a flap [r] was
probably the missing link between [d] proper and [r] here.

The point is that your unique sound in Afrikaans should have developed as a
compromise between two conflicting sound rules. Very interesting!

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.