LL-L "Phonology" 2005.06.16 (05) [E/Cornish]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jun 16 19:56:00 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.JUN.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.06.15 (06) [E]

Hi all,

Thanks, Ron for the example in Afrikaans. Of course! One never notices
those voiceless h's becoming k's as in [ǽ 'khɛt]

[the *default* pronunciation of /h/ in Afrikaans is voiced....
I believe that non-voicing occurs only in some dialects in certain
environments, such as right after a voiceless consonant (e.g., _ek het_)].

I want to disagree with your describing the Zulu _isishlala_ as [isi"Ka:Ka]
(tree)
I hear the hl sound as more of a breathed fricative than the plain voiced
/l/ or
indeed /k/ and would use the IPA [ɬ] to describe it. Hence ['i z i ɬ a ɬ a]

Cheerio, and in the Zulu plural: Salani kahle! (Stay well!)

Elsie Zinsser