LL-L "Terminology" 2005.06.16 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jun 16 20:34:33 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.JUN.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Kevin Caldwell <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Terminology" 2005.06.16 (04) [E/Spanish]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Language use
>
>         As for "American," as far as I know, it goes back to the early
> colonial days in which British people born in North America distinguished
> themselves from those born in Britain (and later from other parts of
> Europe).  As you know, this became a very important distinction that led
> independence from Britain and is the root of the discriminatory law that
> forbids a foreign-born "American" to run for the office of president, as
> though place of birth had any bearing on the ability to do the job.
> Besides, the interpretation of "continent" varies from place to place, is
> not purely geographical.  In Europe, North and South America are
> considered
> one continent.  In the US they are considered two, with Canada, the US and
> Mexico constituting North America.  If not ideal, at least it makes more
> sense geographically than considering Eurasia two continents: Europe and
> Asia.

I refer to the US as America because it's the only country with "America" in
its name - it's simply short for "the United States of America."  The
continents are North America (which actually goes all the way down to the
Panama/Colombia border) and South America, or, collectively, the Americas.
No offense is intended toward residents of countries in the Americas other
than the US.  People in other countries (Russia, for example) use "America"
and "American" to refer to the US and its citizens.

> (2) Don't lose any sleep over what you consider yourself, and certainly
> don't apologize about it!
>       I usually either do not indicate my "ethnicity" (< "race") or
> indicate
> "other," occasionally write "none" or "Eurasian" (to confuse people who
> might think I have one parent from Europe and another from Eastern Asia),
> once "Pomeranian" ...  I know that similar stunts are pulled by many
> people
> who find all this ridiculous.  (You know, those questions, if you are male
> or female and if you're over 40 years of age are -- which are, strictly
> speaking, illegal --are asked "only for statistical purposes" ... Yeah,
> I'm
> sure!)   I often handle university applicants' and students' files and
> find
> all sorts of funny responses.  (Once I found "Bushwhacker" and thought it
> was a prank, but when I looked at a list of all previously occurring
> "ethnicities" I did indeed find a native "tribe" called "Bushwhackers"
> ...)
> If you think that there is a difference between _hispano_ and "Hispanic"
> and
> that you're one but not the other, that's entirely your prerogative.  In
> actual fact, as far as I know, in the US you're legally entitled to regard
> your "ethnicity" as being anything you wish, even "Martian," "Elvish" or
> "Hobbit" if you like, because self-identification overrides all.  But how
> other people perceive and classify you and if you will get the job ...
> well,
> those are different stories again.

I'm often tempted to put down "mongrel" or "human" on such forms.  I suppose
I could put down English/Scottish/Irish/Swedish/Cherokee, possibly with a
little Dutch and Creek thrown in.  And according to family legend, we're
descended from a Frenchman who moved to Scotland in the 15th century and
took the name Caldwell.

> I'm often tempted to put down "mongrel" or "human" on such forms.

I understand that "Human" is by far the most frequent "non-compliant"
response.