LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.06.17 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jun 17 14:31:18 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.JUN.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Roger Hondshoven <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.06.01 (05) [E]

> From: mathieu at brabants.org <mathieu at brabants.org>
> Subject: LL-L 'Language varieties'
>
> Roger Hondshoven wrote:
>
> > I agree that 'gooien' is the word most often used in the General Dutch
> > variety in Belgium. To my mind, 'werpen' sounds rather stif and archaic.
> > In Flemish dialects, however, 'werpen' is, next to 'smijten',  is the
> > normal word.
>
> >> <werpen> vs <gooien>
> >>
> >> I guess here gooien is your Flemish variant?
>
> No, 'gooien' is much more common in the Netherlands than 'werpen.
>
> So, appearently the werpen-gooien example is no good; in both the
> Netherlands and Belgium people most often use 'gooien' when speaking
> standard Dutch. 'Werpen' is a little bit archaic in both countries.
>
> Regards,
> Mathieu
>
> ----------
>
> From: Þjóðríkr Þjóðreksson <didimasure at hotmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.31 (01) [E]
>
> >From: "Roger Hondshoven" <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>
> >Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.20 (07) [E]
> >
> >I agree that 'gooien' is the word most often used in the General Dutch
> >variety in Belgium. To my mind, 'werpen' sounds rather stif and archaic.
In
> >Flemish dialects, however, 'werpen' is, next to 'smijten',  is the normal
> >word.
> >
> >Best regards,
> >
> >Roger Hondshoven
>
> What village are you from? (or what dialect do you speak... kind of the
same
> question :))
> Even in my region "waarpe" sounds odd... "Goeie" or indeed "smaaite" (with
> hij or gij(lie) = smet) are usual among dialect speakers. If it's proper
> the General Dutch variety of Belgium only, not that of the Netherlands,
but
> is not used in our dialects either, where does this gooien come from then?
> Of course Antwerp as a city often has other words than the Brabantish
> countryside... (a lot more Standard Dutch words too, as some dialect cards
> show).
> Anyway, time for dinner, I'll ask my dad who's brought up in dialect
whether
> he thinks waarpe is used.
>
> D. Masure
> [Diederik]

Sorry to have kept you waiting for a reply. I've been rather busy.
The dialects I was referring to are the ones spoken in East-Brabant
(Getelands). My mother was born in Melkwezer (not far from Zoutleeuw). I
myself was born in Tienen, but now living in Diest. I have given some more
thought to the question of  the speech preferences in connection with
'werpen' and 'smijten'. I have to concede that 'werpen', mostly pronounced
as /wörrepe/ (if you see what I mean), in Tienen as /warrepe/, is less often
used than 'smijten', always pronounced /smèète/ (with a long vowel as in
French 'être'). 'Gooien' is never used in our dialects.

Best regards,

Roger Hondshoven