LL-L "Ethnicity" 2005.06.17 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jun 17 14:45:58 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.JUN.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Travis Bemann <tabemann at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Terminology" 2005.06.16 (06) [E]

> From: Kevin Caldwell <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Terminology" 2005.06.16 (04) [E/Spanish]
>
> > From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> >
> > Subject: Language use
> > If you think that there is a difference between _hispano_ and "Hispanic"
> > and
> > that you're one but not the other, that's entirely your prerogative.  In
> > actual fact, as far as I know, in the US you're legally entitled to
> > regard
> > your "ethnicity" as being anything you wish, even "Martian," "Elvish" or
> > "Hobbit" if you like, because self-identification overrides all.  But
> > how
> > other people perceive and classify you and if you will get the job ...
> > well,
> > those are different stories again.
>
> I'm often tempted to put down "mongrel" or "human" on such forms.  I
> suppose
> I could put down English/Scottish/Irish/Swedish/Cherokee, possibly with a
> little Dutch and Creek thrown in.  And according to family legend, we're
> descended from a Frenchman who moved to Scotland in the 15th century and
> took the name Caldwell.

Around here in southeastern Wisconsin, many people have had a short
enough period of time-distance (as low as just two generations in
between, in many cases, for someone about my age (late teens, early
20s)) between them and the "old country", so to speak, so hence many
people here still easily self-identify as one group or "half" one
thing, "half" another.  It's been a short enough period of time that a
good number of individuals still have (or had) grandparents who were
bilingual in something other than English, or in some cases, such as
that of my maternal grandmother, their first language was not English
per se, if even she did end up learning English at a young age.

However, an interesting little note is that a lot of people here
self-identify as fully or part "German", even though if the same given
ancestor got off the boat today, they wouldn't necessarily be
considered "German" today; quite easily they would be, by today's
standards, considered Czech, Polish, Latvian, Hungarian, or so on.
"German" hence does not line up with someone being from any given
nation-state (especially considering that said modern nation-states
did not exist at the time in many cases), but rather with what
language said individual spoke when they came off of the boat, whether
they were from Elsaß, Latvia, or wherever.