LL-L "Administrativia" 2005.06.25 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jun 25 16:04:02 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JUN.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: LL-L "Administrativia" 2005.06.24 (08) [E]

Ron schreev:

> But wait! There's more ... from our LINGUIST elves!  There are some
> slick new utilities.  One of them shows the current number of
> subscribers. Another one makes our Ingmar's dream come true: it lists
> the countries from which current members joined us, and it tells you how
> many members there are from each country.  (I don't understand how it
> can do that given that at least 50% of addresses don't have country
> extensions.)

They could look at the IP addresses from which the messages are posted.
Or perhaps combine the two pieces of information. This still does not
guarantee a 100% accurate report though.

Henry

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>

Wouldn't that be "the second sight" in stead of "face"? Is this the same
interference from your mother tongue as with halibutt? In Dutch (and Low
Saxon in NL)"Gezicht" means "face", but also "sight" and "view". In case
of "het tweede gezicht" I think it has nothing to do with a "face" but
more with "sight". Btw Dutch has also "zicht" sight/view, and "aangezicht"
= face.
We don't say spokenkijkers (D) or spokenkiekers (LS), but "helderziende"
(litt clear sighted) =clairvoyant.
Ingmar

 (Rumor has it
>that I follow my mother's side of the family with a succession of
relatives >that supposedly have _dat tweyde gesicht_ "the second face" ...
also known as _spoyken-kykers_ "spook seers" ...)
>>still mask addresses.

Great! Mmm, I see the Germans beat us with two...
I'd expected much more UK-ers and Afrikaanders, because we here quite a
bit of them on the list. And such a lot of Americans, much more than half
of the whole list! Or are these perhaps all friends, colleagues and
acquaintances of Rons? It is a good reason however to suppose English
should be THE list lingo here, I guess.
But my dream hasn't come true yet, for we still can't tell how many people
have knowledge of Dutch, Low Saxon, German etc, and that was what I wanted
to know...

Ingmar