LL-L "Phonology" 2005.06.25 (02) [E/F]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jun 25 16:10:52 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JUN.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: David Barrow <davidab at telefonica.net.pe>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2005.06.24 (05) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Orthography
>
>> Críostóir wrote (under "Orthography"):
>
>> in Nottingham English "February" is pronounced "Febri".
>
> Do you also say "Satdee" (['sætdi:]) for "Saturday" as in Australian
> English?
>
> I always love hearing "Saturday afternoon" pronounced "Satdee arvo"
> ([sætdi: 'a:vEU]).
>
> Let's see ... Australians, am I getting the following right?
>
> Monday: Mundee ['mandi:]
> Tuesday: Choozdee ['tSu:zdi:]
> Wednesday: Wenzdee ['wEnzdi:]
> Thursday: Thu(r)zdee ['θø:zdi:]
> Friday: Fridee ['frAIdi:]
> Saturday: Satdee ['sætdi:]
> Sunday: Sundee ['sandi:]
>
> But "day" is not pronounced "dee" in other contexts; it's pronounced
> close to "die" [dA%I], hence also "holiday" ['hOlidA%I].  "Day" in the
> days of the week can have this pronunciation too in some dialects and
> when stressed or enunciated "well."
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Hence the joke:

A man in a hospice is asked 'Did you come here to die?'
And he answers: No,  I came here yesterday.

David  Barrow

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Let's not forget that in Middle English and in some dialects still in Early
Modern English the pronunciation of <ay> was still [aI] (as in "die"), and
some dialects have retained it.  At least so I believe.

>> in Nottingham English "February" is pronounced "Febri".
>>
> Do you also say "Satdee" (['sætdi:]) for "Saturday" as in
> Australian English?
>
> I always love hearing "Saturday afternoon" pronounced "Satdee
> arvo" ([sætdi: 'a:vEU]).
>
> Let's see ... Australians, am I getting the following right?
>
> Monday: Mundee ['mandi:]
> Tuesday: Choozdee ['tSu:zdi:]
> Wednesday: Wenzdee ['wEnzdi:]
> Thursday: Thu(r)zdee ['θø:zdi:]
> Friday: Fridee ['frAIdi:]
> Saturday: Satdee ['sætdi:]
> Sunday: Sundee ['sandi:]
>
> But "day" is not pronounced "dee" in other contexts; it's
> pronounced close to "die" [dA%I], hence also "holiday" ['hOlidA%
> I].  "Day" in the days of the week can have this pronunciation too
> in some dialects and when stressed or enunciated "well."

This is similar to West Frisian, where also "dei" [da.i] or [dE.i]
(depending on dialect)
is reduced to [di] in weekday names. Sometimes the reductions goes
further and we get [zj@], but this is dialect
dependent (I do that). It's never reflected in spelling though.

Eg moandei ['mandi], tiisdei [ti:zdi] or [ti:zj@], woansdei [wa:~
sdi] (or [wE:~sdi]) or [wa:~zj@],
tongersdei [tO:~zdi] or [tO;~zj@].

Freed, sneon and snein are diferent stories, of course.

Henno

----------

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <godsquad at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.06.24 (03) [E]

"This would occur in Rhotic varieties"

How do you know if you have a rhotic variety or not?

----------

From: jpkrause <jpkrause at sunflower.com>

Dear Lowlanders,
         I must interject a question here.  What does the term rhotic
accent refer to?  And what part or parts of the US typify this accent?
The reason I ask, is because I'm fairly certain that I pronounce the r
in surprise.  And I know I pronounce the first r in February.  I gew up
in the state of Oregon, on the US west coast and now reside in Kansas
right in the center of the country.  And I think I have heard both in
both places.

Jim Krause