LL-L "Ethnicity" 2005.06.27 (14) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jun 27 23:57:29 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JUN.2005 (14) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ulpi Á lvarez <email at ulpialvarez.com>
Subject: LL-L "Ethnicity" 2005.06.27 (03) [E]

> From: Thomas Byro <greenherring at gmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Ethnicity" 2005.06.20 (05) [E]
>
> Mark
>
> In the 90's I read an article in the NY Times about a man named Martin
> who wanted a promotion in the South Carolina civil service.  Although
> he was qualified for the job, he was told that the position was being
> reserved for Hispanics.  He then had his name legally changed from
> Martin to Martinez and he got the job.
>
> My younger son has a friend in school named Gonzales.  He is a native
> of Madrid and he just got a scholarship open to Hispanics only. I am
> considering urging my son to change his name to Gonzales and thus to
> join the winning side.
>
> Tom

Tom,

If this kid is truly a Spaniard, either his parents are paying themselves
for his education in the US (which seems to be quite a popular thing
nowadays among Spanish parents - specially if the kids are aged 14/16) or
he's a full time resident in the US who was lucky enough to have his
application handled by someone who still believes Madrid is a Mexican city
(it wouldn't be the first time I'm told so by Americans...)

There're no scholarship agreements between the US and Spain for exchanging
students but those attending University (granted by the Fulbright
Foundation). And, although all evidence indicates the contrary, it seems
that Spaniards are not considered 'hispanics' when it comes to American
bureaucracy (at least abroad) although we are 'hispanos'. Still, someone
might benefit from someone else's ignorance (and get a scholarship, as an
example).

Regards,

Ulpi Alvarez

PS: 99.5% chance a Spaniard named 'Gonzales' ends it with a 'Z' instead of a
'S'.

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Ethnicity

Thanks, Tom and Ulpi.

And I suggest that on this note we allow this rather extraneous thread to
fade away, unless a more relevant twist can be found.