LL-L "Introduction" 2005.06.28 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jun 28 17:36:02 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUN.2005 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From:  "Alfred Adler" <adler.quatuor at tiscali.fr>
Subject: Introduction

Chardenet, France
2005-06-29

Hello Everybody:

I visited your website and was very surprised to see so many people
involved and busy with language and its derivates (if I may say so)

My name is (Al) Fred ADLER
Native: Dutch, but now living in France some 100 Km North of Lyon
surrounded by superb vineyards producing excellent white wines. Not very
many red-wine producers, all of these are in the Beaujolais area between
Macon and Lyon, south of where we live.
I'm a young retired one, having studied  and lived in England,  Germany
and in France before establishing myself in he Netherlands as a
businessman, but later finding much more satisfaction (after studying
interior architecture) in my design cabinet loving this creative
profession. From youth remains the serious study of music and coming
from a family with musicians, I studied piano for many years and  also
the harpsicord. I'm hereconsidered as a 'semi-professional'.  My wife,
being a qualified choir director and a singer, sometimes uses my ten
fingers to accompany her or her vocal ensemble.   Before having our kids
(eating lots of our time and energy) we were much involved in
chambermusic but nowadays it isour own  young creative bunch we are
making music with and sometimes, on the outskirts, with other adult
musicians.
Yves (10) plays plays well the fiddle (sorry, violin), also the piano,
sings (boy soprano) and will play organ next season, he devours books on
science and ornithology, loves cooking (imitates his father, as I am a
devoted cook) and daughter Marylore (9) is much more interested in Jazz
ballet and plays with an astonishing ease the piano, sings, loves
gymnastics, writes poems and short stories and fighting her brother if
he is demanding too much attention.  We live in a hamlet with some 10
other solitairs, and at night we can see the stars in the sky (no light
pollution here!) and, hear the owls and many other aminals shuffling,
flying and crawling through the bushes and the grass. Shopping is some
20 Km away to find a supermarket, but the neighbours have eggs,  fresh
milk, fresh veggies and we bake our own bread............. so we easily
survive.

Communicating with people has also been an absolute necessity in my life
and has developped a particular interest in the use of language and its
derivates (there it comes again!) So, when I lived abroad I was
attracted by the many regional dialects, accents and in Holland it was
the specific 'Amsterdams' and bargoens (dieventaal), in France (Langue
Verte/Argot and dialectes such as Alsacian and Langue d'Oc/Catalan) as
well as the Québécois ( I love Canada: the English Canadian speaking
part as well as 'Le Canada Français' as the Général has called it), in
England it was the Cockney and visiting my kinfolk in the US.  I
sometimes have problems in understanding and expressing myself, as
there is a huge gap btween the Queens English and the local American
tongue. (When I told people that I would be back in a fortnight, nobody
understood! Quoting afterwards 'two weeks' made things very clear)

That's about it..........giving you folks some kind of portrait of this
aging and bald guy

Kind regards, m.f.g., cordialement, met vriendelijke groet

Alfred Adler.

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands at lowlands-l.net>

Hello, Alfred, and welcome to Lowlands-L and its non-silent minority!

Physically living in relative isolation is all right, as long as you have
Internet access and can be a member of a global family like ours.

So we have another devoted cook in our round, huh?  That makes quite a bunch
of us.

Take care, and don't be a stranger now! You here?