LL-L "Accents" 2005.03.01 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 1 16:38:31 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.MAR.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Peter Snepvangers <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: Accents

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
From: Þjóðríkr Þjóðreksson <didimasure at hotmail.com>
From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
From: Luc Vanbrabant

My Dutch teacher told me they can't tell the sounds apart, so they use both
g and h for one another without distinction. My experience learned that
indeed it's a whispering sound middle between g and h, sound files by a
Fleming would be welcome though. But they wouldn't say Ik heeft or Ik geeft
as the verb is inflected differently. The infinitive is (I think) something
like hê'n, ik hê'n, (btw heeft is Standard Dutch for the 3rd person
singular). We had a teacher, from EAST Flanders though, who always said "Ik
geb" with heb as Standard Dutch for 1st person singular. Excuse me here, but
this Dutch teacher is  wrong.
Every Western Flemish person knows the difference in Flemish:
Hello Luc, Mark et al,
I have never had a problem understanding the difference. I find the Flemish
and "southern Dutch" speech much nicer to listen to. I always found Limburgs
when spoken by my father and his brother a beautiful song like language,
they just sounded happy and positive when they spoke it. I also have a
strong aversion to the "Northern Dutch" pronunciation of G. To me it sounded
throaty harsh, aggressive and yes Ron, it made me think of spitting sputum
from your belly. I seem to remember when you went north past about Eindhoven
the sounds changed but I also noticed the upper classes tended to tone down
the throatiness when they knew you were a "foreigner" (they were aware of
their accent).
Cheers
Peter Snepvangers
snepvangers at optushome.com.au