LL-L "Names" 2005.03.01 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 1 23:46:01 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.MAR.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ben Bloomgren <ben.bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2005.03.01 (03) [E]

"The flemings?"

Dave, I am not a linguist either. I have heard that a native Flemish speaker
is a Fleming. That could be an old term.

From: denis dujardin <dujardin at pandora.be>

Another thing in this context is my curiousity about Flemish immigrants who
came to the Norfolk area.
They were in fact textile workers, and as far as I can remember, I once was
told that in that area there are still remnants of flemish vocabulary in the
local dialect. Does somebody know anything about this?

Denis Dujardin
A true ""Fleming"""!