LL-L "Grammar" 2005.03.03 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Mar 3 17:46:51 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAR.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2005.03.02 (04) [D/E]

Re "progressive mood"
I was wondering if the progressive mood in English, which is not used in
the other Germanic (or Romance) languages is a loan-construction from
British/Celtic? I don't know a lot about Celtic, but I remember that e.g
Welsh always uses a kind of progressive mood, something like:
am I in work = I'm working
is he in eat = he's eating
are we in go to school = we go to school
etc.

Does (did) it exist in Cornish and Breton too, and in Irish and Gaelic?
Or would it be possible that Celtic borrowed it from English?

Ingmar

----------

From: James Campbell <james at zolid.com>

Ingmar eskrë »

> in stead of "ik eet" lit. I eat, we say "ik zit te eten" lit. I sit and
> eat = I am eating
> in stead of "hij zeurt" lit. he nags, we say "hij loopt te zeuren" lit. he
> walks and nags = he is nagging, or "hij ligt te zeuren" lit. he lies and
> nags, even if he isn't sitting, walking or lying at all.
>
> I'm curious if the same happens in Belgium Dutch, in Afrikaans and Low
> Saxon in Germany too.

I don't know about those langs, but it's common in Norwegian. One can use
similar constructions to indicate a continuous aspect, e.g. «Jeg sitter og
reading the paper (He laid and read...). So I guess it may be a common
Germanic trait... but would be interested to be proved wrong :)

James

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
James Campbell
james at zolid.com  www.zolid.com
Boring, but a cool boring.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

In Low Saxon, a common way of expressing progression is to use _... {be} by
tou {infinitive}_ (<... {be} bi to {infinitive}>); e.g.,

Ik bün by tou lesen.
(I'm (busy) reading)

Sey was by dat eten tou kaken.
(She was (busy) cooking (luch/dinner).)