LL-L "Intelligibility" 2005.03.03 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Mar 3 17:48:51 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAR.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Peter Snepvangers <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: Names

From: Sandy Fleming
From: Ron Hahn
Another famous James Fleming was the sole survivor of Custer's regiment at
the Battle of the Little Big Horn. He was a messenger that Custer sent back
with a message before the battle.

To let my mind wander on that topic, I was reading an interesting article in
a magazine recently that said that Custer's defeat at Little Big Horn might
have been due to a language error.

It seems that Custer and his wife spent some time at a school for deaf
children and there Custer learned to communicate with the children in sign
language. Unfortunately he made the very common mistake of thinking that
sign language is universal and that this would help him to communnicate with
his Indian Scouts.

Hoi Laag Landeren,
when I read this mail It reminded me of a joke so I thought I might share it
with you all...SMOKE RINGS..
A Dutch immigrant travelling through the prairies of the USA stopped at a
small town and went to a bar. He stood at the end of the bar, ordered a
drink, and lit up a cigar. As he sipped his drink, he stood there quietly
blowing smoke rings.
After he blew nine or ten smoke rings into the air, an angry American Indian
stomped up to him and said,
"One more remark like that and I'll smash your face in!"
Cheers
Peter Snepvangers
snepvangers at optushome.com.au