LL-L "Onomastica" 2005.03.05 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Mar 5 23:49:14 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.MAR.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Jo Thys <Jo.Thijs1 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.03.04 (03) [E/German]

Hi Heather,

Here's my part of folketymology and best considered as such.

> So why name us WichenFORD

In Flanders placenames with this suffix are quite common and used in the
sense of crossing a stream e.g. Bekkevoort (beek means little stream). I'd
read Wichenford as the  place 'where the roads cross (the stream)', with
'wichen' from O.E. weg (>way).

> the origins and meanings behind "Lachbrunna"  "Lagbrunna" "Lagbourne"

A 'leek' is a little stream in Dutch, (cfr to leak) and a 'lagbrunna' would
be a 'lekbron', different from a 'springbron' where the water 'jumps'. In my
home village such a leakstream acted as a border,  so houses only 50 meters
apart belonged to another community (my grandparents could tell from which
street one was).

> It has been suggested that we are the centre part of a forested area which
> little by little was cleared round the edges - hence the 'ley names all
> around us; And then eventually we in the the centre were cleared and
became
> a settlement.

In that case these places wouldn't have been an open space in the forest and
should not have been named '-ley'. Placenames are often hypercorrected, so
some -leys may originally  have been another word. Dutch has 'lee' (<'lede')
for a small draining stream wich comes from 'lijden', to go (O.E liðan) so
its original meaning should be road (in this case of the water). In Antwerp
for instance this 'lei' (<lede) is used for roads (e.g. keizerslei) and
different from the -lo(o) in e.g.Waterloo. If English had the same word,
some 'lea' (cfr caus.lea-der) may have been misunderstood as 'ley'. To me
many of the ley names make more sense in association with a 'road' than with
a 'clearing', like Berkeley (road of the birch trees). Dutch '-weg' is used
the same way as English '-ly' in the formation of adverbs (cfr
boudweg-baldly) so it could even be possible that some '-ways' in placenames
got confused with the more frequentwy used 'leys' by nonnative clercs (cfr
old-oud /owt/). As a centre Wichenford's name could  have been written down
much earlier, while the surrounding placenames had undergone a shift from
Wiche(n)>way>ley before being archived.

Groeten,

Jo Thys

----------

From:  R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Onomastica

Place name examples in Germany:

Asterlagen (< Astarlohon; cf. Oslo), Bad Laer (< Lodere < Loh-There), Bad
Oldesloe, Bokeloh (Bokel), Buchlohe, Großberkel (Berkolo), Hohenlohe,
Eschlohe, Fintel (< Ventelo), Iserlohn, Kleinberkel (Berkolo), Kuddesloh,
Laugna, Laupke, Leinefelde (< Loyckenfelde), Lindloh (Lintel), Loemühle,
Loham, Lohaus, Lohbach, Lohbarbek, Lohbeck, Lohbruck, Lohbrügge, Lohbrücke,
Lohe, Löhe, Lohfelden, Lohkirchen, Lohklind, Lohklind, Lohmühle, Lokfeld,
Lopke, Lucka, Luckau, Luckenau, Luckenbach, Luckenpaint, Luckenwalde,
Lucklum, Luckow, Luckwitz, Lüderich, Lug, Luga, Lugau, Luko, Sprakel (<
Sprakelo), Tegerlo, Varloh, Waterloh, Werpeloh

Place name examples in Britain:

Alderley Edge, Alwodley, Alwoodley, Armley, Asley, Astley, Audley, Baddeley,
Bagley, Balterley, Barthomley, Beamsley, Bearley, Beoley, Betley, Billesley,
Bingley, Bisley, Bosley, Bradley, Brierley, Bromley, Burley, Calverley,
Castley, Cheadle (< Chedley), Cottingley, Coxley, Coxley, Crossley, Dingley,
Emley, Exley, Farley, Farnley, Haseley,Guiseley, Headingley, Henley,
Hindley, Hobberley, Hockley, Honiley, Ilkley, Kearsley, Keele (< "cows
..."), Keighley, Kinglees, Kingley, Lea, Leathley, Leominster, Lilley,
Linley, Longley, Loxley, Loxley, Merrylee, Methley, Midgley East, Midgley
East, Mobberley, Morley, Moseley, Moseley, Netherlee, North Whiteley,
Oaklea, Onneley, Otley, Oversley, Pinley, Ragley, Rashboglea, Ringley,
Scholey, Shelley, Shepley, Shipley, Shrewley, Stanley, Studley, Tyldesley,
Warley, Weardley, Weethley, Weoly, Wetley, Wheatley, Whitley, Woolley,
Worsley